Have You Been Briefed for May?
Early each month, we release our Executive Briefing – complimentary topline insights from our latest Monthly Consumer Survey of more than 8,000 consumers.
Yesterday marked the release of our edition for May. Here’s what you may have missed:
– The bloom is off the rose for Consumer Confidence…we saw signs of dampening sentiment in April (when confidence flatlined after five consecutive months of improvement), but sentiment for the economy declined two points from last month.
– Nearly half maintains a penchant toward pragmatic spending, but this has declined four points from April. This figure remains elevated from May-11 and May-10, suggesting that market uncertainties (unemployment, gas prices, economic health, etc.) are still influencing spending.
– While plans to decrease overall spending have lowered from the extreme we saw in April, cutting back remains at the fiscal forefront.
– Drivers are anticipating an average price of $3.95/gal as we approach Memorial Day, lowering from the $4.17/gal expected at the end of April. Despite the recent declines in the cost of fueling up, the vast majority of consumers say their spending in other areas is still impacted by prices at the pump.
– The Women’s Clothing battle is too close to call this month…after three consecutive turns as the leader in this category, Kohl’s shares the top spot with Walmart in May.
– Are there cracks in Home Depot’s foundation? We examine the big builder and its competition in this month’s Consumer Migration Index.
– Is Mom in for a treat on May 13? Six month purchase intentions are on the rise for all on our BIG Tickets items this month compared to May-11. A Mother’s Day favorite – Jewelry – is up 30%+ from last year.
– Move over Iron Man…Marvel’s The Avengers is no match for our favorite nonagenarian.
To sign up to receive the monthly BIGinsight™ Executive Briefing, please click here.
And, to view the latest BIG Executive Briefing in its entirety: May 2012.
Source: BIGinsight™ Monthly Consumer Survey – MAY-12 (N = 8789, 5/2 – 5/8/12)
© 2012, Prosper®
BIGinsight™ is a trademark of Prosper Business Development Corp.