In our earlier review of the Hottest Trends for 2011, were you wondering where all of the fashion trends landed in our list? As it turns out, due to the male opposition to anything termed “fashion,” none of the 27 sartorial trends we surveyed in 2011 cracked the Top 50 in our overall list. And thus our reasoning for this very important post…
Top 10 Fashion Trends for 2011:
- Color Red for Clothing (Sept-11)2: Who doesn’t love a vampy pair of red pumps? Or a great crimson-colored bag? Though it appears that consumers crave red in small doses: the Red Jeans/Pants trend (Jun-11) came in at #22 on this list (of 27).
- One-Piece Swimsuits (Jul-11): Maybe a monokini qualifies here? At any rate, it’s nice to see a little modesty on this list.
- Denim Cutoff Shorts (Jun-11): Daisy Duke called…a lot of consumers are still ripping off this trend [literally].
- Ankle Boots (Sept-11): The vertically challenged cousin of the classic knee-high stomper, these boots work well with skirts, crops, dress pants, and denim, making them a versatile option for trendy girls on a budget.
- UGG® Boots (Jan-11): Try wearing these in the middle of winter. You’ll convert.
- Pajama Jeans® (Mar-11): You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.
- Pale Denim (Feb-11): While it may be a more relaxed and a less figure-forgiving than its dark denim counterpart, this was a relatively safe trend that a lot of consumers seemed to try.
- Plaid Fashion Trend (Dec-11): For the non-lumberjack look, try pairing a plaid shirt with a statement piece of jewelry. Perfection.
- Sheer Hosiery/Pantyhose (Aug-11): If it’s good enough for Duchess Kate and her sister Pippa, it’s good enough for us gals stateside.
- Clutch Handbags (Jul-11): When you can store just about anything on a smartphone, who needs to haul around a big handbag anymore? [OK, I do…but Clutches can come in handy].
And now for the trends that ended up at the bottom of the pile…
– “Mandals” (Oct-11): Men + Sandals, a fashion trend that President Obama inspired us to ask about. #allingoodfun
– Griege Nail Polish (Jan-11): Another mash-up (Grey + Beige), which consumers found more bleak than chic.
– Colorblocking Fashion Trend (May-11): Perhaps because it goes against what Garanimals taught the masses? It appears, though, that this trend is sticking around for 2012.
This all is, of course, according to the What’s Hot/What’s Not section of our monthly Consumer Intentions & Actions® survey1. Each month, more than 8,000 respondents have the opportunity to rate a list of trends, personalities, events, etc. as “hot” or “not”; the items we ask about are based on input from our respondents from the previous month’s survey as well as a variety of current trending topics.
And, for more information on this data, please contact BIGinsight™.
1 Hottest Trends for 2011 are limited to the 145 trends, personalities, events, etc. that were included in one of the 12 2011 Consumer Intentions & Actions® Surveys. Looking for Ryan Gosling, Charlie Sheen, Pippa Middleton, Keurig Coffee Makers, Occupy Wall Street, or Groupon? We got ‘em. Sorry about your luck on George Clooney, Zooey Deschanel, beach vacations, any of the Real Housewives, or Sperry Topsiders; they just didn’t make the our cut this year.
2 The month/year each item was asked is denoted in parenthesis (MMM-YY).
Source: Consumer Intentions & Actions® Survey, JAN – DEC 2011
© 2012, Prosper®
BIGinsight™ is a trademark of Prosper Business Development Corp.